Core Product Category Rules (PCR) for Products and Services
EN 15804:2012 +A1:2013 provides the core Product Category Rules (PCR) for the production of Environmental Product Declarations (EPD) for all construction products and services.
For EPD to be effective, the information on which they are based has to be consistent, reproducible and comparable. This is the role of this standard. It provides a consistent structure of ‘core product category rules’ (PCR). This ensures that all EPD use the same environmental indicators even when the EPD for a product is produced by different organisations.
Core product category rules
- define the parameters which have to be declared by a manufacturer and the way in which they should be collated and reported
- describes which stages of a product’s life cycle are to be included in the EPD and which processes are to be included in the life cycle stages
- defines rules for the development of different scenarios
- includes the rules for calculating the Life Cycle Inventory and the Life Cycle Impact Assessment underlying the EPD, including the specification of the data quality to be applied
- provides rules for reporting predetermined, environmental and health information, that is not covered by Life Cycle Assessment for a product, process and service where necessary
- defines the conditions under which construction products can be compared based on the information provided by the EPD.