Section Contents

Performance Rated I-Joists

I-joists are ‘I’ shaped engineered wood structural members designed for use in residential and non-residential construction.  The product is prefabricated using sawn or structural composite lumber flanges and OSB webs, bonded together with exterior type adhesives.

I-joists are manufactured and distributed by a number of North American producers.  Most supply I-joists in lengths up to 60 feet, and the most common depths, in inches, are 9-1/2, 11-7/8, 14 and 16.  Because most I-joists are manufactured to proprietary standards, APA recommends that you refer to the manufacturer’s literature for recommendations and more detailed product descriptions.

There is no harmonised European standard for I-Joists so manufacturers have to make an application for a European Technical Assessment (ETA) which measures a specific I-joist against test requirements laid down in a European Assessment Document (EAD) or a European Technical Approval Guide (ETAG). (Also see Official Guidelines).

North American I-joists are manufactured according to proprietary manufacturing standards and do not follow a single voluntary national standard.  For design recommendations and product specifications, please refer to the individual manufacturer’s information.

APA in Europe Wizard

All Questions OSBPlywood

What is a ‘life cycle stage’ and how do these link to the environmental assessment of whole buildings?

How do core category rules link with environmental product declarations?

Whose responsibility is it to check that wood products being imported into the EU do not originate from illegally sourced timber supplies?

Does the EUTR require mills to provide any extra documentation for customs entry into the European Union?

Must all plywood and OSB panels carry a CE marking?

What is the definition of a construction product under the CPR?

What is a Declaration of Performance referred to under the Construction Products Regulation?

What is the difference between Structural 1 and Exposure 1?

Does structural panel siding have shear values?

What are mould and mildew, and do they compromise the integrity of engineered wood?

The CE-mark on an APA plywood panel means it conforms to European Standards – but which ones?

I want to use a Rated Sheathing panel for flooring/ roofing application, what info do I need to know?

Plywood: Span rating
OSB: Span rating

What extra strength benefits do Structural 1 OSB panels provide over standard Rated Sheathing panels?

Do APA panels give off formaldehyde?

Plywood: Formaldehyde
OSB: Formaldehyde

What is the difference between a touch-sanded panel and sanded panel?

I’d like to know how APA veneer grades match those given in the European standards

How do I correctly gauge the face appearance a plywood Siding panel?

I want to specify an APA panel for concrete formwork – what do I need to know?

Are APA panels tongue and grooved on all four edges?

I am not familiar with the term ‘Sized for Spacing’ – what is its significance?

How are Performance Category and thickness related?

I’d like to know more about a panel’s Span Rating and how it links to thickness.

Plywood: Span rating
OSB: Span rating

What is Span Rating on the APA trademark and why is it important?

Plywood: Span rating
OSB: Span rating

What is the difference between Exposure 1 and Exterior plywood panels? What are their appropriate uses?

What are the main OSB panels likely to be available in Europe?

What are the main plywood panels likely to be available in Europe?

What are the main European standards that I would need to be aware of for OSB panels?

The main standards are: EN 13986 and EN 300

What are the main European standards that I would need to be aware of for plywood panels?

The main standards are: EN 13986, EN 636, EN 314, EN 635-3